Updated June 24, 2020 | 13:53 IST
While there are no home remedies or foods that can treat UTIs, there are certain foods that can help prevent infection and can also improve drug results, providing more relief and faster.
5 Foods You Must Include In Your Diet To Prevent, Treat UTIs Photo credit: iStock images
- Urinary tract infections are one of the most common ailments in the world
- They are mainly caused by bacteria, but in rare cases they can also be caused by viruses and fungi.
- Although treating UTIs with antibiotics is extremely important, it is also important to eat a healthy, balanced diet to prevent infection and speed up treatment.
New Delhi: A urinary tract infection, also called a urinary tract infection, is a common infection caused by germs. Most UTIs are caused by bacteria, while some can also be caused by fungi and viruses, in rare cases. A urinary tract infection can affect any part of your urinary tract – from the kidneys, uterus, bladder to your urethra. While lower UTIs are more common, UTIs of the upper tract are more serious.
UTIs can be caused if you come in contact with pathogens. It can happen anywhere if good hygiene is not followed. However, it is more common to get a UTI from a public toilet or urinal. UTIs should be treated with an antibiotic, and untreated UTIs can develop further and lead to various complications in the urinary system. While there are no home remedies or foods that can treat UTIs, there are certain foods that can help prevent infection and can also improve drug results, providing more relief and faster.
- The water – Drinking water is extremely important in keeping your urinary system healthy. It helps flush out toxins and pathogens and can help prevent and treat UTI. Make sure you drink at least 2-3 liters of water a day to prevent and treat a urinary tract infection.
- Cranberry juice – Although research suggests that cranberry juice cannot treat a UTI, it may help prevent UTI. Cranberries contain certain compounds that help prevent pathogenic bacteria from attaching to host cells, thereby preventing infection.
- Dark chocolate – Dark chocolate is known for its benefits in weight loss, menstrual pain, and improved reproductive health. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants which help reduce the risk of infection.
- Probiotic yogurt – Yogurt or curd is rich in good bacteria, which help fight bad bacteria in the gut and the body. Consuming probiotic bacteria can help prevent and effectively treat a UTI.
- Fruits and vegetables – Eating a balanced diet including plenty of fruits and vegetables will keep you healthy and prevent conditions such as a urinary tract infection. Include green vegetables like spinach, gourd, etc., and fruits like oranges, kiwis, mangoes, bananas, etc. in your diet. These foods provide your body with the nutrition it needs and can help you stay healthy and prevent such conditions.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or healthcare professional if you have specific questions about a medical problem.
Get the latest health info, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now